Have the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and social distancing brought a feeling of uncertainty to your life? Are you having to work from home or navigate a new normal? You are not alone! We are all going through some difficult and trying times but it’s important we maintain our leadership, keep our sanity, our wellness, and some sort of routine during these times. Wellness in any situation requires a strategic approach on a good day, and even more now. New Situation? That just means we adjust so we can still have success on our own terms! So how do we keep things as “normal” as possible?
Here are some quick tips and guidelines that will be very important to thrive in this new reality.
1. Establish a new routine: Keeping a regular routine is essential to feeling your best and many are looking to your leadership…at home AND at work. Each evening, make a list of 3 things you will accomplish the next day, even if it is just establishing protocols to keep you and your family safe and healthy. Prioritize each item in order of importance. Sleep hygiene is a must for rest and immunity, so set your alarm for a minimum of 7 hours of sleep each night. Exercise, sleep, water and proper nutrition will go a long way to helping you stay healthy and reach your goals. Need a sleep or stress meditation? Peloton is offering their app free for 90 days: they have so many options, including desk yoga, outdoor walking programming to keep you grounded during the day.
2. Plan ahead for Results! Portion out your meals and avoid simple sugars: Eat within 30 minutes of waking or on a schedule, prepare meals with all the colors of the rainbow, including snacks, in advance to stick with your serving sizes. This will help avoid mindless eating. Craving sweets? Drinking empty calories can sabotage your waistline and lower your immune system…Satisfy your sweet tooth with low glycemic fruits such as berries, cherries, grapefruit, pears, plums and apples. Water 8 oz at least 10 minutes before a meal can quench your thirst and eliminate those hunger pangs. Dehydration often poses as hunger, so stay hydrated! Refill medications to keep on hand for you and other loved ones and contact your medical team for telemedicine appointments, as needed.
3. Stress less & Unplug: Feeling overwhelmed? Is COVID-19, job stressors or emotional needs constantly “eating away” at you? Take a moment to breathe. Facetime with loved ones. Plan out your grocery list. Clean. Meditate. Rest. Pray. Exercise to relieve stress. Take time to unplug from the news – read, write in your journal or listen to an uplifting audio book. Try a new foreign language app. Turn off the “noise” and focus on what can help you grow or manage stress. Establish a relationship with an online therapist to help manage anxiety and feelings of overwhelm as a breadwinner, parent, caregiver or healthcare worker on the front lines.
4. MEDITATE. Set aside quiet time to meditate each morning. No social media or TV. Shut off the outside world, and listen intently to that small voice inside. Whether you are guided by intuition, faith or your heart…Listen closely. If you are new to meditation, there are apps you can download to help you get started. Practice stillness so you are more in tune to improve your life and find fulfillment. Headspace and 10% Happier are offering free subscriptions
5. Challenge yourself to grow: Instead of binge-watching News, TV shows, YouTube or surfing the internet, challenge yourself to be productive. Have you been putting off doing your taxes? Do you have a major career goal you have been contemplating? Is there a new skill you have always wanted to learn? To learn a new hobby or have financial Freedom, why not learn from others? Join a virtual book club. Take a virtual museum tour. Make podcasts part of your daily routine to Learn and Grow.
6. LEARN FROM FAILURE OR SETBACKS. This is an uncertain time and you will be experiencing new challenges and obstacles. Many temporary setbacks are opportunities to Win…or Learn more about what you DO want! Once you realize this, you can improve your plan, knowledge and surround yourself with Support. Staying in the “Safe Zone” or doing the same thing expecting different results will not advance your goals. PROGRESS OVER PERFECTION.
Along with this checklist, always stay updated with current health guidelines and how to best protect yourself here.
If you’d like to learn more about how to create more success on your own terms and to feel empowered no matter what is thrown your way, schedule a Soar to Excellence ™ Assessment with Dr. Toni today.
About Dr. Toni A. Haley
Toni A. Haley, MD is a bestselling author, speaker, and certified executive coach for high performing women. She is also the founder and CEO of Williams Wellness Group. Dr. Haley is sought after by clients for her 25 years of experience in finance, healthcare, and wellness. Her proven strategies have helped hundreds of women break through personal and professional barriers, such as Perfectionism, Martyr Complex, and Imposter Syndrome. She is a proud alumna of Morgan State University and Ross University School of Medicine. Dr. Haley has committed her career to empowering women to achieve greater prosperity and wellness. Feel free to reach out to Dr. Toni with questions you may have or if you’d like to learn more about her speaking, coaching, or books.